Want to become a software developer? Well, this piece will guide you from choosing a course that suits the field to getting the necessary skills for a software developer; sourcing for opportunities for growth and personal development; and yes, we would also cover the salary outlook for the field… Read on to uncover all these details and more.
As a Software Developer, you constantly provide solutions for users’ problems. You are tasked with a job role to create applications or systems that run on a computer or another device. You can be working on the occasional quick fix as well as more complex strategic solutions.
The tech industry is forever crying out for talents and at the moment and the world needs software developers who can think critically and implement software solutions that addresses the pressing needs in STEM. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t a huge number of candidates vying for available jobs. The sector may be fruitful, but you still have to make yourself stand out.
In a report for Software Developers published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it is stated that “Employment of software developers is projected to grow 22 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. The need for new applications on smart phones and tablets will help increase the demand for software developers.”
In order to have a renowned career in Software development, you need to have a bachelor’s degree in the following courses:
- Computer Science: Computer science degree programs are the most common because they tend to cover a broad range of topics. Students should focus on classes related to building software to better prepare themselves for work in the occupation
- Information technology: A study of information technology teaches you the basics for designing all parts of an information system as well as oversee the program design activities to ensure that they meet up with process objectives. This course will also enable you to define and incorporate system security and control procedures to protect the data entrusted to assigned systems.
- Software Engineering: This course encompasses the basics of software engineering and its importance. It covers the processes and methods needed in the discipline and also aims to give you the absolute essential knowledge about software engineering.
Other courses includes;
- Software development.
- Business information systems.
- Mobile App Development. …
- Web Programming/Web Design
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML)
- Data Analytics
- UI/UX Framework Development
- Database Administrator (DBA)
- Software Quality Testing (SQT) Automation
Changing Your Career Path to a Software Developer
Are you considering a change of career path to the software developement field? Well, this is very possible if you follow through with the right procedure to switch careers. Below are steps to help you switch your career path.
Many students gain experience in software development by completing a course online, or even by taking an internship role at a software company. For some positions, employers may prefer that applicants have a degree around the field, nevertheless, this is not much of a limiting factor for you if you want to switch careers to this field. Read on to see the various skill you would need to start a career in the software development field.
- Get the necessary skills required
- Take an online course to learn the basics
- Take advice and learn from experienced developers
- Consider an internship placement with a software development firm
- Build an online presence (LinkedIn, Hired, Personal portfolio, GitHub, Social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter)
- Grow your network
- Get employed
Skills You Need to Become a Software Developer
As the competition in the job market is rising rapidly, you’re required to possess some extra skills or learnings to grab the attention of the recruiters.
- Analytical skills: As a Software Developer, you should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. A software developer ought to have a thirst for new technologies, as well for maintaining strong communication and interpersonal skills. While being highly motivated and experienced in various programming languages, you ought to be able to also analyze users’ needs and effectively create designs to meet those needs.
- Multitasking: As a software engineer, you will most likely be required to handle multiple projects at the same time while working with a given deadline-driven environment. Whether you work as a full-time staff, a freelancer or you work remotely you need to know how to manage your time well and meet up with given deadlines, and yes! A skill in multitasking would help you in the long run.
- Communication skills: Every aspect of software development requires apt communication skills in order to do the best job. You can start by working on your listening skills then further expressing what you understand; your ideas. As a developer, you must be able to pass clear information and data about a project you worked on.
Other Key Software Developer Skills
Listed below are technical skills for a career path in software development
Salary & Job Outlook for a Software Developer
Since you have considered a career path in this field and have read through this piece till this stage; my thought is, you definitely would need to know what the future holds for you as a software developer in terms of your job role and earnings. Well, here it is!
Employment of software developers is projected to grow 22 percent over the next ten years, much faster than the average for all occupations… amazing right?
Below is a table detailing the outlook of a web developer by the Bureau of Labor Statistics
|Salary & Job Outlook|
|2019 Median Pay||$107,510 per year|
$51.69 per hour
|Typical Entry-Level Education||Bachelor’s degree|
|Number of Jobs, 2019||1,469,200|
|Job Outlook, 2019-29||22% (Much faster than average)|
|Employment Change, 2019-29||316,000|
Are you looking at starting a career in Software development? Then this is for you! – The Cedar STEM and Entrepreneurship hub in partnership with Lonadek and Microsoft, has just launched an initiative on October 31, 2020, to help 25 million people worldwide acquire the digital skills needed in a COVID-19 economy – to drive a Global Skills that will help them thrive in pressing times like this.
Among the free courses offered is one for Software Developers that covers the essentials for the field. Get free access to the Software Developer course +International Certification.
Other Courses Available for FREE
- Sales Representative – (Negotiation, CRM, new business development, B2B, storytelling, social media)
- Project Manager – (Program management, process improvement, project performance.)
- IT Administrator – (Manage systems, subscriptions, configuration, and identity; Windows Server, Active Directory)
- Customer Service Specialist – (Customer satisfaction & experience, data entry, CRM, admin analysis)
- Digital Marketer – (Social media, content strategy, SEO, marketing channels; Google Analytics, Google Ads)
- IT Support/ Helpdesk – (Troubleshooting, deployment; Active Directory, computer hardware, Microsoft Windows Server)
- Data Analyst – (Data analysis, analytics, visualization; Microsoft Excel, SQL, BI, Tableau)
- Financial Analyst – (Financial analysis, risk management, accounting, analytical skills, data analysis)
- Graphic Designer – (Design systems, layout, color; Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
Register HERE to access any of these courses